To begin, lets go back to April 2009, the making of the dress. Imagine you and your best friend walking into the textiles room randomly on a Tuesday at lunch, and walking out deciding to enter a dress in a fashion show, in under a week. Oh the catch, you can’t use any fabric and everything has to be recycled. Well lets just say that I realized in that week that there are a few people in this world, that I could spend more time with than my own family. My best friend, Arman and I spent probably more than 100 hours together in one week. The reason the time we spent together is so incredible is because, we shared many good laughs and have even better stories to tell our grandchildren. From wrapping my cousin Neetu in saran wrap and paper mache, to gluing old colourful tissue paper to the dress, I will never forget the fun we had. And this is why, the making of the green dress is one of my favourite moments in my life.
My next choice of remarkable moments in my life is unique. On May 30th and 31st of 2009, Penticton held its annually Relay For Life. Relay For Life is an 12 hour overnight event held across Canada. Much more than just bringing awareness and raising money for Cancer Research, but celebrating those who survived Cancer, remembering loved one who lost their battle to cancer, and fighting back in hope to find a cure. Though Relay for Life had brought many new friendships that will last for lifetime, it also brought more tears to my eyes. Seeing the courage from cancer survivors and hearing the stories about loved ones who lost the battle to cancer, has changed me as a person. I personally don’t know if it has made me a better person, but I know that I will always be part of Relay for Life no matter what.
My last favourite moment of my life has to be my 16th birthday party. Not only did my parents throw me a huge sweet sixteen party with 500 people, but showed me how much they love me. I know, I know money does not buy love and I agree. But I have to appreciate the amount of effort my parents put in to make my birthday the best day of my life. I have to say one of the best parts was seeing all my family come down to Penticton from across Canada to celebrate my birthday. The moment I will not forget is when my older brother made a speech about me, saying so many touching and wonderful things. But by far the best moment of the night had to be when my best friends, Arman and Gurlene dressed up as ‘Punjabi’ guys and performed a unique dance. It was amazing and very funny too. In that one night, I realized that there are many people who love me, and they mean the world to me.
These three events have been the highlights of my life so far. This is only the beginning though, and many more interesting events are still to happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment